14 June 2011

“Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination” - Oscar Wilde

People often mistake my interest in high fashion as me being materialistic or pretentious… and by people I mean my mother and a few close friends. I admire good design and quality, and if that means paying nine times more for a pair of  Marni heels instead of the Primark replica, I don’t mind. It’s not that I hate Primark, New Look or Topshop because they are beneath me, I hate them because although they’re copying the the runway trends – they insist on doing it in a way that cheapens the entire concept. Here’s an example; the reissue of the Chanel 2.55 inspired so many high street brands to use and abuse the signature Chanel link chain by putting it on everything from headbands to dress trims and even ankle straps on shoes – turning something classy and elegant into something cheap and disgusting. Another example; I often see nice dresses ruined by a waist belt or rhinestones or a buckle – without the said ‘embellishment’ it would be fine but they feel obliged to ruin everything. I know I can’t blame Topshop for doing this because they at least attempt to keep it classy but I dislike the way everyone wears the exact same overpriced outfit. Floral printed poly-cotton shirts with exposed zips for a ridiculous £32 truly take the piss; and in turn encourage me to slave away at work and save up for things that I really want. 
I won’t lie, Liberty is my favourite place to shop and there’s nothing I love more than the Harrods’ Christmas sale and I won’t stop going to Selfridges just so I can hand pick my JellyBelly jelly beans and if that makes me a pretentious, materialistic dickhead then so be it.
PS. For those of you that know me in real life; I am completely aware of the fact, that I tend to look a state for at least two thirds of the year - mainly due to poor planning and generally not caring/having time to care about what I wear to uni; I just want you to know that if I had the time, money and a walk in wardrobe, I sure as hell wouldn’t look this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment